About Me

Brussels, Belgium
The purpose of this blog is to display what I consider my best photos od my trips. They are done with the light of the day, meaning I do my best with the available light.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Polarize filter or no Polarize filter

Should I use a polarize filter?
Many would argue that today it si so easy to enrich color in Photoshop that the polarize filter is no longer necessary.

Well I still see at least 3 or 4 advantages in screwing one in front of my lens
  1. The first obvious one is you don't need to push colors in PS avoiding time spent in front of your computer screen.
  2. The second one is, it reduces reflections (glass, water)
  3. Three, it darken your sky

Disadvantages?

You loose around 2 F stops, meaning if you handheld your camera you have to push your ISO somehow degrading the picture quality although today with cameras getting better and better it is not so obvious. Since you are a landscape photographer you travel with your tripod everywhere isn't it?
One more thing, be aware that at high altitude your polarize filter will turn your blue sky to a black sky!

No comments:

Post a Comment